Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Little That I Know (Precursory Self Reflexive Response)

I feel that it is necessary to make a precursory self reflexive post in order to establish what I know so far so my progress throughout the course can be tracked and evaluated much easier.

I will first off start by saying that I already know a good deal about the world of media. Since a young age I was glued to the television box; whether it was playing video games, watching television shows or films, like every other Canadian I just can't get enough. I'm fairly technologically knowledgeable (I know how to work a computer, a cell phone, an Ipod/Mp3 player, my Xbox 360, etc.) although I beleieve there is always room to grow and become more knowledgeable.

I took a media course in high school as well as Dr. Lipton's Languages of Media course, so I am more aware than others of how manipulative and powerful a tool the media is. Any medium is able to project a government or a corporations desires onto the general public, and to be honest I find this quite terrifying.

In terms of this specific class, my thirst for knowledge has me constantly participating by asking questions to get a better sense of things and understand the theories we will learn over the course of this semester. I do find the reading a bit overwhelming, but I'm sure at the end of the day it really isn't that much and won't be that difficult. The seminar presentation and the term paper do not really seem that exhausting to me, however this blog does. I have never kept a blog, so I think it will be interesting to experiment with this and hopefully be a useful learning tool for me so that I excel in this course.